Usman Amin | University of Sunderland

Drama BA (Hons)

A/AS Level Results, Clearing and Open Days

[youtube id=”lZ4_SCy3R8M” mode=”normal” align=”left” autoplay=”no”]

Hey all. So if you’ve been studying all year for your A Levels you will more than likely be aware that results come out tomorrow. Every year this is a nervous time for a number of students; for many this is the first time there is something riding on the outcome, whether that be a place at University or even an apprenticeship. I want to try and give you guys some advice and let you all know that whatever happens, it will all be ok!!

You guys will know that if you are looking to go to University next year then you will need to achieve a certain number of UCAS points in order to gain an unconditional offer. Now if you get the results you need that’s great!! Congratulations!! However,¬†this doesn’t always happen and for those that maybe fall short of that required boundary, there is a way that you can still go to University and study a course that you want.

This process is called clearing. Universities offer out any spare places that they have to students who need them. You can only apply on and after results day and my advice is, if you have to go through clearing, you should do it sooner rather than later as places do fill up quickly. Just remember to stay calm, there will more than likely be something out there for you.

Above, I have attached a short video which shows how clearing works in a bit more detail which I’ve found from the UCAS YouTube channel. I hope it helps and remember if you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask. One last thing to remind you guys about is open days. It is so important to make sure that the place you go to study is the right place for you. Three years is the average time that most students spend at University and this is a long time to invest, especially if you are moving away from home. You will want to make sure you feel as comfortable as possible.

I will be at the forthcoming open day for the University of Sunderland and will be based at Priestman Building giving students tours around the Performing Arts Department. For anyone that is coming along and wants to come and say, I am always happy to help and if you are interested in getting one of the tours I’ve just mentioned, there are two available. One starts at 10:30 and the other at 13:30. Each tour lasts about 2 hours maximum but this can vary. You will more than likely start off at St Peter’s Campus and if you ask at the Drama Desk in the main Prospect Building, there will be staff there to help you. There are normally buses that will take you to the various buildings and bring you back so you don’t need to worry about transport.

Like I say, I really hope anyone interested in coming to Sunderland comes to have a look. It really is a fantastic place to study and it’s given me three of the best years in my life!! Anyway, that’s it for me. To all those awaiting results, I wish you the best of luck and every success in the future!!

• Name: Usman Amin
  • Studying: Drama BA (Hons)
  • Hometown: Birmingham
  • Ambitions: I aim to teach drama - I would love to inspire youngsters to do what I do!