Tasha Steel | University of Sunderland

Media Production (Video and New Media)

NE1’s Newcastle Fashion Week Catwalks

On Saturday I went along to the Company Presents NE1’s Newcastle Fashion Week high street catwalks. I’d never been to a catwalk fashion show before, so being moved to the front row was pretty cool! I was actually meant to have Julien Macdonald sat beside me, but he ended up the row behind – presumably so he didn’t have a restricted view past my fedora or get knocked by my elbow when I was taking photos.

It was great to see the SS14 trends from the high street on models rather than just seeing the items on rails in store. The only downside of the event was the length of the catwalk shows, I thought they’d be about 30 mins each allowing us time for lunch between the 12pm and the 2pm shows but they ended up lasting nearly 2 hours each! That aside, I still definitely want to go to more shows and more of Newcastle Fashion Week if I can! It is going to be a busy couple of weeks now with that dissertation deadline looming!

• Name: Tasha Steel
  • Studying: Media Production (Video and New Media) BA (Hons)
  • Hometown: Sunderland
  • Ambitions: I want to have a creative role within the media industry. I'm keeping my options open right now and just trying to get as much experience as possible.