Stanislava Ponjevic | University of Sunderland

Pharmacy MPharm

5 Reasons Why I Chose the University of Sunderland

Hey everyone!

In the 2 years that I’ve lived in England, the one question I get asked most often is why I chose Sunderland University. I wanted to share these reasons with all of you so you can understand what kind of considerations are being taken into for international students and this may help some prospective students in making decisions about where they would like to study.

1. The Guardian rated the pharmacy program at the University of Sunderland in the Top 10 in the country, even higher than Manchester and Liverpool! I wanted to pick a university that would guarantee me the best education with the most clinical practice and a high post-graduate employment rate; reading forums and posts such as the ones written by the Guardian allowed me to narrow down my choices for universities.
  2. International student tuition fees for pharmacy are one of the lowest in the country at Sunderland. When I had gotten a conditional offer at the University, my tuition was only £9000 and with a scholarship that I also received from the university, my fees end up being £7500, comparable to the fees that home and EU students pay at the university!
  3. Sunderland is a university city. I’m from the capital city of my province in Canada in which the population is roughly 1.2 million people. We commute long distances as everything is quite spread out and not many people live in the heart of the city (downtown). Sunderland is quite a small city that is run by students during term time; the majority of students live in accommodation that is no further than a 10-15 minute walk from the center of the city or from the university.
  4. Newcastle is only a 30 minute metro ride away! With the above being said, its always nice to have the option to venture into a metropolitan city where there are more things to see or do! I’m a city girl at heart so I needed to be able to have the option to go to museums or have cocktails at fancy bars, with Newcastle being so close you never run out of new places to go.
  5. The cost of living and prices in Northeast England are affordable and reasonable. Compared to the larger cities in England (London, Manchester, Leeds etc) the cost of living and prices at restaurants in Sunderland are very affordable and student friendly! You definitely get more for your money and when you’re a student its nice to be able to have a little bit of extra money left over to treat yourself with!

These are my top reasons for choosing the University of Sunderland! If you have any questions about the university or about Sunderland feel free to message me through Facebook or post a comment below! Hope this helps some of you in deciding what university to pick. Thanks for reading!

Stanislava