Stanislava Ponjevic | University of Sunderland

Pharmacy MPharm

Flax Pancakes with Chocolate Greek Yogurt Topping

Hello everyone!

I’m proud to say that I’ve made clean eating a major part of my lifestyle (with a cheat day here and there of course) and it’s allowed to me train better and overall feel my best. I had always been a healthy eater but eating clean required a lot of experimenting with food and meal preparation time which I at times struggled with but it allowed me to come up with tons of amazing recipes that I can share with you! My most recent creation was flaxseed pancakes with a greek yogurt topping that tastes exactly like whip cream, might I say probably even better as its chocolate-y! Read the recipe below and try it; only 10 minutes preparation time and 100% recommended by yours truly!

flaxpancakes

Flaxseed Pancakes Ingredients

(Makes 2 American style pancakes):

• 1.5 tbsp wholemeal flour
  • 2 tsp ground/milled flaxseed (sold at Holland and Barrett)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • pinch of nutmeg (optional)
  • 1/2 banana
  • Coconut/Almond milk as needed for desired consistency

Mash the banana well and beat in the egg and vanilla. Then add the dry ingredients in and mix well! If the mixture is too thick add a bit of milk. Line a frying pan with coconut oil and pour half the batter onto the pan; cover with a lid to ensure the middle is cooked. When you notice the top of the pancake has started cooking, flip and cook until done.

Greek yogurt topping:

• 100g of 0% Fat greek yogurt
  • 1/2-1 tsp of Organic cocoa powder (add as desired, too much may make it bitter)
  • 1 tsp Organic no-sugar added peanut butter
  • 1 tsp agave syrup

Mix the ingredients well in a bowl until mousse-like consistency is reached; should be fluffy and light. Top the pancakes with the Greek yogurt mixture, dried coconut and fresh or frozen berries; I added frozen summer berries that I purchased at Tesco! If you’re feeling indulgent (or very Canadian as I usually do) add some maple syrup!

Have an awesome weekend guys!

Stanislava