Stanislava Ponjevic | University of Sunderland

Pharmacy MPharm

Stress Management While in University

Hey everyone!

It’s the end of the year and we’re all gearing up for the start of exams; therefore I wanted to talk about something I find fairly important to us as students. Many people don’t realize the stresses that can pile up while you are completing your studies but as I’ve seen (and experienced myself) they are innumerable and range from personal issues, to deadlines and even living situations!

I recently attended a pharmacist support seminar that was aimed at helping students (not only pharmacy students) and pharmacists deal with stress. The seminar focused on these 5 main concepts: connecting with those around you; being active; being aware of the world around you and what you are feeling; trying/learning something new and giving back. Here are some main points from the seminar that I found to be most useful:

• When you are feeling stressed, write down 5 things that make you feel happy and that you are thankful for… this will increase the flow of positive thoughts and will be guaranteed to make you smile!
  • Recognize your patterns of behavior; understand when you are reaching a level of unnecessary stress and do something to counteract it. This may include a coffee break, walk, reading a book or even a bath.
  • If you experience anxiety that accompanies your stress, try some breathing exercises. Concentrating on your breathing will take your mind away from the initial anxiety, then incorporate positive thoughts.
  • My favorite tips of the seminar… healthy eating! I’m known to consume more than a recommended amount of coffee when I get stressed but by recognizing this habit, I can avoid any negative effects and swap my coffee for green tea.
  • It is proven that exercise releases endorphins which are positive hormones that give you the “happy” factor. Other benefits of exercise include: deeper sleep, increased confidence and motivation, stress relief (especially when kickboxing) and improved concentration.

I hope that these tips help in the next 2 months as everyone is preparing for exams, I plan on including many of the tips in an attempt to avoid stress in the first place! Wishing everyone luck all their assignments and exams!

For additional support services:

Samaritans – talk about whatever you want, whenever, in confidence

Anxiety UK – supporting those with anxiety

Pharmacist Support – for any further information for pharmacy students/pharmacists

Stanislava