Stanislava Ponjevic | University of Sunderland

Pharmacy MPharm

Halloween Traditions

Hey everyone!

So Halloween weekend is over (unfortunately) and I have to say that this year’s celebrations were one of the best I’ve had so far. After many days of deliberation I finally decided that I was going to dress up as Cruella Deville. My costume was put together very last minute (which my Canadian friends would not be impressed with) and consisted of a dress that I borrowed from my flatmate, a shawl I bought from Ebay for £7 and a cigarette holder (also from Ebay) that cost £2.50. The hair was my main problem because I had to color it half-white half-black, but that was nothing a little colored hairspray couldn’t solve. Needless to say I’m still washing out the hair dye, but on the topic of Halloween I wanted to put together a list of how Halloween celebrations are different in North America compared to England or the UK. Here’s some pictures from the weekend and I hope you enjoy reading about a typical Canadian Halloween!

Halloween in North America

• Most households that give out candy decorate their homes and dress up to role play for children who will be trick-or-treating.
  • Once you’re too old to trick-or-treat, you stay home and hand out candy. I would compare with my friends to see who got the most trick-or-treaters at their house and what the best costumes were.
  • If it is too cold to trick-or-treat, parents (like mine) make their children wear winter coats over their costumes; they also take their children to the shopping mall where stores give away candy.
  • Corn mazes: not only are they long and time consuming but they’re an extremely fun way to spook each other out.
  • Pumpkin carving; once the seeds have been removed, roast them and you have a delicious fall snack!
  • Making homemade pumpkin pie- my favorite!
  • Costumes: this is the main difference. In Canada, kids (even teenagers and adults) spend weeks preparing their costumes. This is normally because in North America we pride each other on creativity for this holiday, which means the majority of people make their costumes.
  • Candy and decorations are sold weeks in advance. I’m almost certain that when I left in the first week of September supermarkets were already displaying Halloween chocolates and candies.
  • All the Starbucks lovers will agree with me on this one: Pumpkin Spice Lattes, because nothing screams Halloween or fall more than that drink.
  • Watching a week’s worth of Halloween or horror movies because that’s all that is playing on the television.

Hope we can bring some of these traditions here! But now I’ve gotta get back to studying, have a lovely week!

Stanislava

Make sure to follow me on Instagram to see what I’m up to from day-to-day!