Scott Cowie | University of Sunderland

Computer Forensics BSc (Hons)

Object Orientated Porgramming – #ItBlewMyMind + Chinese New Year Video

#HappyNYfromUS

Chinese New Year is Thursday, February 19 this year and to celebrate it with the students University of Sunderland asked us to create a video saying Happy New Year, although I’m not sure if its right or not I did it anyway as its fun to learn a new language! Here is my video:

[youtube id=”sN70hx6Qg7E”]

#ItBlewMyMind

Another video I was asked to do was a short 30 second or so video on something I learned, did or whatever at University of Sunderland so I decided to do it on Object Orientated Programming which I learn as part of my 2nd Year course of Computer Forensics.

[youtube id=”zjkZ9H4XSB4″]

It is amazing stuff essentially it allows a program to use different classes and do multiple things with them from potentially one line of code. Its hard to explain without trying it for yourself but here’s a running scenario based on using inheritance which is where a class can inherit from its super class and also using Polymorphism which is amazing too and an essential part of OOP.

Imagine a shop sells magazines and books so you make a class for both and a class that handles the selling we’ll call that the till class. Each item class (book and magazine) has an interface function to sell which means each one needs to have that function incorporated into it so each can be sold. Then all you have to do is have a function in the till that calls for that class to sell it. So essentially you tell the till to sell something the till tells the book or magazine to sell one. Ingenious isn’t it? But wait it gets better, it is also possible to store all of these in a combined list as they would all carry the sellableItem interface. This means that any other class using this interface can be treat the same way. So if they started selling stamps as long as it used the same interface it would be able to be added to the program with little to no changes. Shimples!

If you want to learn more then you should read Simon Kendal’s( An awesome lecturer) OOP book which is free to download and its a good read for those who want to know more HERE is the link! It’s a safe download even if it seems odd give it a try!