Scott Cowie | University of Sunderland

Computer Forensics BSc (Hons)

DDoS Attacks!

So recently I posted about the Christmas “hack” in which the PSN and Xbox Live network were attacked by the Lizard Squad. Therefore I thought I’d take a bit more time to describe what happened in a bit more detail and what a DDoS attack actually is.

Firstly DDoS stands for Distributed Denial of Service which essentially is a peice of software that will flood a network with useless traffic to overwhelm a network seizing it’s functionality and rendering it useless. Although sometimes some can get access it usually doesn’t last long.

dosimage

The image above I stole from my own Portfolio 1 work for first year, my computer is one of those bad boys ^.^ . Anyway another form of the attack is where an attacker will find a way through various methods to infect other peoples computers then known as “zombies”. These machines when called upon will then attack the designated service.

Over Christmas the Lizard Squad attacked the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live network to bring down all functionality to some of the new next gen consoles as most if not all of the systems require you to be logged in so by flooding the login network it stops the servers and stops connection. Rendering the consoles useless leaving a lot of people unhappy (myself included).

They are now selling this “tool” as the Lizard Stresser to anyone who will pay, this will only lead to bad people using it for ill gains or revenge and needs to be stopped thats where my course comes in all we do in computer fornesics is learning these tools and how best to stop them.

Thanks for reading!