Scott Cowie | University of Sunderland

Computer Forensics BSc (Hons)

A Year in Industry : Industrial Placements

Hey everyone! So as you might know I am trying to get a placement for my third year as part of sandwich course. The benefits of doing a placement are numerous such as applying the knowledge given to industry. I have applied for placements with HMRC Digital, GE, HP and am hoping to apply for more when I get more time to do so.

1

Industrial placements are the best way to use your knowledge to gain valuable experience necessary for a successful CV, I want to beef up my CV in anyway I can and from previous experiences from other students it seems like the best way to build up my skill set and use what I have learned to earn some money. Placements vary from about £12K a year up to about £22K depending on the company.

business-news_14_temp-1371112736-51b98520-620x348

A lot of placements are for a full year 9-12 months but it is also possible to get  a summer internship or do both if you have the time and plan out well, I hope to do both if possible if I do the industrial placement first and then do an internship before starting my third year… which I will call 4TH year.

It may be necessary to be mobile but there are a lot of opportunities in the North East and the University of Sunderland has a lot of influence in gaining experience and placements for students which makes Sunderland University a great place to learn. There is one catch however, you must be on par for a 2:1 minimum usually although some exceptions might be made, this is where doing well in your first year really pays off as the applications tend to be early first semester how can you show how your doing other than your first year grade. So if like me you are considering a placement year then you need to stick in as the opportunities are vast and you can be put into a fast track graduate scheme. Thanks for reading!

By the way, the spam comments are usually 100’s so if you need to get in contact please do it via one of the social media outlets found linked on the right as it is hard to find the one true comment through all the spam. Thanks!