Scott Cowie | University of Sunderland

Computer Forensics BSc (Hons)

Movie Night Review “Debug”

Debug-2014-640x360

Yesterday I spotted a movie for £6.99 in Sainsbury’s, the movie… DEBUG I picked it up as it sounded like my kinda thing, something computery so for the price decided to give it a go.

So essentially the story is set in space where a team of black hat hackers who have been released as part of a correction scheme have been sent to hack a ships A.I, the ship used to be a correctional facility which had been outlawed years ago. The A.I had gotten out of control and every criminal and person who dies there, there personalities synchronize with the A.I. I ain’t great at explaining… here’s a short dramatic synopsis:

“Six young computer hackers sent to work on a derelict space freighter, are forced to match wits with a vengeful artificial intelligence that would kill to be human.”

Essentially it is a horror but on the Computer Forensics course we could potentially have to deal with this in the future but as is the skills we acquire would help us to hack a network and track down potential threats such as the rogue A.I and try to cut it off much like a virus. Also as part of the course we actually have the chance to do Artificial Intelligence in the third year and there’s a strong chance I will be doing it but we’ll have to wait and see.

Overall I liked the film for being quite cheap I have seen some terrible horror films as I particularly enjoy them but this film was actually really good and I would definitely give it at least 4/5. The connection to Computer Forensics was quite good, as  the 6 hackers trying to combat a terrible evil so to are we trying to fight the black hackers out there and make the cyber world safer! But its always a thought… what if this actually happened just like SKYNET, any thoughts? So if you see it and are interested you should take a look but for now here’s the trailer…Enjoy!

[youtube id=”Txz-ho3UCDA”]