Scott Cowie | University of Sunderland

Computer Forensics BSc (Hons)

Back to work!

Hey everyone this time it’s all serious because by now you should be back into the routine if your a 2nd year+ and if your a firsty then you should be slightly more familiar with what’s going on and what is expected of you.

A little more about me: So I started here last year with the help of my girl friend through clearing I had intended to do computer science but I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do and as Computer Forensics was similar baring the 20 credit I gave it a go. I pay my own University Fee’s let me tell you now if you don’t stick in and want to come back you will have to do the same so fair warning to those who think it’s a good source of income because I’ve been there and it isn’t fun. Although I have gotten more of a maintenance loan this year making it easier you need to appreciate that your an adult now and they don’t pull their punches. I’ll admit I didn’t do any homework at school and barely through Sixth Form and when I attempted Law at Northumbria I barely made the effort, hence why I failed, that and it wasn’t really what I wanted to do with my life it was just because it was my best A-LEVEL …

The bright-side: I am now on a subject that I love the students are friendly and the lecturers are so easy going, until you do something wrong of course >.> but it’s a great life changing experience as long as you put in the effort. I finished my first year top of the class and a first over all, this is because I was determined that my money was going to be worth spending and I wasn’t going to waste my time and money, although you may think the first year doesn’t count employers still take notice. Remember to make a Portfolio of your work regardless of subject so employers can see what you can do.

Extra-Curricular work: Yes that’s right if you want to go far with your course and to get employed you will need to show that you genuinely have an interest in the subject. For example I have started making coding videos although there aren’t many to start it’s a great way to revise as well as help others to understand the subject from a students view. Employers look for these things and expect them so if you do the bare minimum and get a 1st but with no extra you may not stand out from the other 100 applicants so try to do some volunteer work in your spare time whether to do with your course or not as it’s all useful experience.

By the way if you recognise me around St Peters or City Campus (not over that often but you may catch me) come and say hello it’s always good to meet new people and network as it helps you stick in more (worked for me anyway) and i like to meet fans/people who are interested in Computer Forensics , although you may have to tell me to shut up as i tend to blather on a little bit, for example this entire blog post ha ha, hope to see you soon!

This is the mug your looking for!

This is the mug your looking for!