Scott Cowie | University of Sunderland

Computer Forensics BSc (Hons)

Freshers Day 4: A real difference!

So following from yesterday we were out again with the sweets, spreading awareness of student reps and their role in student life. Funny side story though we ended up out with the iPad’s to do student surveys but originally earlier in the week we were supposed to be out with whiteboards. Purchased on Amazon from our student rep coordinator they finally arrived on the Tuesday but can you guess what arrived? Each whiteboard supposedly cost quite a bit yet they were merely white laminated bits of paper stuck to cardboard… Total joke but we had a laugh.

Anyway as I mentioned yesterday I was re-elected by our class along with previous rep Kieran Williams featured in Fresher Day 1, it was quite the election “who wants to do it?”… cue tumble weed so as you can imagine quite the fight. But for a simple explanation a student rep is there for you, the average student. Why you might ask? Well who knows the course better then the students taking it. For example last year we had an assignment which required us to use certain programs on our course but as we are using systems and a network which could potentially be dangerous we were not aloud access and the alternative? A small room with 6 computers in for 3 year groups to use and 2 of which were missing there hard drives and didn’t work.

So obviously I got in touch with our lecturer who just happened to be head of the faculty to complain and we managed to arrange for us to be able to use the big room with as many computers in as we would need to do the assignment with just a sign in sheet as the answer. Now it might not seem like a big deal but for us it went a great result for our 2nd assignment so although it may seem small it can mean the world of difference and therefore I suggest to anyone reading this blog to become a rep if the position is over as it gives you the power to make a difference and help the University give you your life changing course!

Oh……btw did I mention the added perks? ¬†Everyone loves a free hoodie or free ¬†vouchers, but for me personally, my favourite thing about repping was all of the study skills sessions that you can attend. From social networking, to leadership skills and how to make a change, there are great opportunities to really excel yourself and “get out there” more. They also appear on the transcripts of results which I think are an added bonus, because you bet employers will be asking about the role as a rep. Even though they were like an hour long each, I have really benefited from participating because I have grew as a person and “found” myself as an individual. (I’ve also become a lot more cheeky and outspoken haha!) ….oh and did I mention free stuff already? If your interested make sure to speak to your course leader and check out the student rep part of the union website found here!