Jamie Baker | University of Sunderland

Sports Journalism BA (Hons)

Things I miss about Sunderland..

1. THE MURRAY LIBRARY. There was something I really liked about it – perhaps especially when I needed it the most during my first and second year it was always there for me. The spacious, cozy library open 24 hours/ 7 days per week how cool is that?? Even though in my last year I lived much closer to St Peters library and spend so much more hours studying in my bed instead of going out- I felt just so much more sentiments for that one – not a surprise because that’s a place where I fell in love!!

2. CLOTHES SHOPPING. Even though I’m a fashion journalism student, I’m not really that obsessed with clothes shopping – I buy something if I know for sure I will really wear it. Especially in my last year at Uni I didn’t have much space in my shared wardrobe and I knew I’m going home for good soon – each time I went home I remember taking some clothes with me that I didn’t need. Basically that was two reasons to think twice before getting something new. Anyway, coming back to the point, Sunderland has those most popular High street shops like Topshop, River Island, SportsDirect, H&M, Miss Selfridge, massive Primark (Can you believe we don’t have any of these in Lithuania, apart from H&M that is to open sometime in August!) as well as several vintage/ charity shops.  And the fact that everything is so nearby – THE BRIDGES SHOPPING CENTRE is located in the heart of city centre so it safes so much of your time! I even miss online shopping – it’s so convenient to get things online when you live in UK – everything arrives very quickly and you get a student discount.

3. LIVESONLINE BLOGGING EXPERIENCE. I truly believe that blogging was an extremely important task, since it might have inspired or helped prospective students to decide where and what should they do in their lifes – it’s nearly being involved in what their future will be like! It was a pleasure to answer all those questions that freshers asked me on Facebook in Lithuanian, because I knew how they felt – it’s like they knew nothing and were scared of something they didn’t know… Of course, because of personal reasons there were many times it was difficult, it required loads of efforts to run away from my own problems and just to focus on being a good blogger  and I’m sure it went well.

4. PEOPLE AND UNIVERSITY. During the last three years I met so many different people. I’m happy to remember all those conversations, smiles and tears we’ve all experienced together. I’ve realized that some people you meet come and go, while others stay. There are some important people, you want them to stay but sometimes they won’t.  I’m really grateful that during my last days spent in Sunderland I managed to meet with some people I wanted to meet and say goodbye to the most. My last evening was spend with one special classmate. After a pretty long pause of hardly talking, we finally met and had a good time.  I’m glad we did! It’s funny when you think about it;  people I met and became really close with came from different cultures and who knows I might never see them again. Recently I’ve got a text message from my Korean friend saying: “Maybe we will meet at my or your wedding ceremony. lol” That just simply made my day! 😀

5. I ALSO MISS THE VIEW, BAR WORK, HEARING RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS AND OTHER ARTISTS PERFORMING IN THE STADIUM OF LIGHTS, WHILE I’M IN MY BALCONY,  MY BED AND THE REST OF THIS!!