Natasha Kam | University of Sunderland

Pharmacy Mpharm

My Pre-Reg Experience So Far…

Hey everyone,

Since I’ve started working as a pre-reg pharmacist, I’ve barely had time to sit down and take a breather. After a long day (9 to 7pm) at work, I would come home and make some simple dinner, put my feet up to rest for a bit and head to bed straight. Sometimes I get really physically and mentally drained at the end of the day. However as the days go by, after meeting and serving my patients over the counter, I feel that I have made an impact in their lives. They are happy to see me and of course when they start knowing your name, you’ll know that you’ve nailed the patient rapport. 🙂 With a blink of an eye, one month has passed by and I cannot believe I’ve been working for more than a month already.

The pre-reg assessments are due soon and I will have to start writing up my reports so that my tutor can go through them one by one and report back to GPhC that I am on track with my training. On top of that, I will also have to start studying up for the pre-reg exam which is held next June- There are loads to cover and I technically have to swallow the whole BNF (British National Formulary), digest and remember contents of it which sounds kinda scary but at the same time interesting because by the end of the day, I would know 90% of the drugs out there in the UK. But the learning process does not stop there, we are always updated with new drugs and development that everyday is like a learning process. This is what makes the life of pharmacists exciting, we are ever-learning. To all pre-regs out there, I know some of you may have different experiences working in different sectors, different treatments & tasks to do whilst training, make full use of this year as time will just go by real fast. Work as if there is no pharmacist around, and that YOU are the pharmacist. It helps you think what to do and how you can face dilemmas and how to act  or react to in difficult situations.  🙂

Love,

Natasha x

• Name: Natasha Kam
  • Studying: Pharmacy MPharm
  • Hometown: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
  • Ambitions: I would love to set up my own pharmaceutical company.