Liam Lillico | University of Sunderland

Broadcast Journalism BA (Hons)

Fresh..

Aloha bromigo’s and sisterigo’s, how’s it going?

The first week of university means one thing: Freshers.

I mean, of course theres getting to know your class, and tutors, your new surroundings, your new flatmates, all that stuff.. but if we’re all being honest (and this is a place of honesty guys, remember that.) Freshers is where it’s at.  Now whilst I only got to attend a few freshers events due to other things happening, like being bogged down with a hybrid early-freshers flu (Thanks for that Libby) that got intimate with the fact I hadn’t really stopped in the last four months. Hate me for saying it, but traveling is tiring. Incredible yes, without a shadow of a doubt, but tiring all the same! So that on top of working my arse off for the summer, it got to me.

All that being said, the ones I did attend were great. I headed to the Foam Party and stood outside like an idiot for ages (I didn’t get my wristband sorted beforehand even though it sat waiting for me in an office at City Campus). Eventually getting in, we headed to the bar and I gave up straight away. I’d rather not be packed tight into a crowd for a drink. I’ve got an entry stamp on my hand now, I can leave, head somewhere for a few drinks and be back in time for the foam to get started. Flash forward to about 1:45AM and I was drowning in it. At one point I legit thought I was going to die, (I couldn’t see or breath, it was touch and go guys, it really was.)Later I managed to escape and start the difficult task of finding somewhere that would let me buy food on my card. 6 establishments later (seriously Sunderland, 6? What are you doing? That would never happen in Newcastle) a pizza shop that I can’t remember the name or location of, became my saviour. On the other side of the week was the paint party and 21st Century Box, which was insane. We all headed out as a flat to enjoy it, and got absolutley covered. The walk home was a cold one, and as our hot water goes off at 10PM, trying to shower at 3AM was just as bad, if not worse. But, it was all worth it, even if I did get some yellow paint on my formally white bedspread..

Paint Party! (I’m sorry guys, I have no idea why my hand did that, it had a mind of it’s own.. Photo courtesy of 21st Century Box Paint Party.)

Fresher’s wasn’t all about the crazy hyped events for me though, it was about getting to know my new flatmates, and adjusting to living in a new city. This all consisted of headed to the casino (where I just crashed and burned. Casino 1, Liam -1. UPDATE: We went again, I broke even, so it’s like I never went.), bowling, cards night, drinks and pool out and about and a games night. It was good to get to know them. I’m happy and lucky enough to say I’ve got a golden flat. They’re wicked! If you’re reading this guys, thank you for accepting and being as puny as I am.

10714878_10204945118773941_8509513_n

As for the city so far- I haven’t encountered any problems, it’s got everything I need and could want. In fact, it’s a perfect mix of change and familiarity- I’m in another city yes, but I’m just a metro ride away from home. Well, technically it’s a metro and a bus ride, but that doesn’t sound as good you know? To round up, I’m happy. It’s all good right now- I’ve just started my course and I can’t wait to get my teeth stuck into it! I also plan on getting involved with as much as Spark as I can, so I’m pretty excited! Freshers fayre was cool too, it was full of activity, and most importantly- free stuff! Winning! 

Free stuff is the best stuff. Winning. #SunFreshers #Freshers #FreshersFayre #LivesOnline #Blog #FreeStuff #Winning

As I’m just finding my feet, I aim to upload every Monday, if not sooner, so make sure you check back here regularly.

To keep up with me, check out all of my social media links down below. Till next time guys,

-Liam

Human. Student. Traveler. Blogger. Part time Super Hero.

Facebook

Twitter