Laura Blackett | University of Sunderland

Social Work BA (Hons)

Homemade Pizza Recipe

Hey everyone,

I have just noticed that the recipe to accompany my video showing how to make homemade pizzas has vanished, so I am posting again for all you budding pizza chefs!

I have always laughed when people said make your own pizza. Why when I could literally go to Aldi and pick one up to throw in the oven for £2? However I fully get it now because homemade pizzas taste sooooo much better. The recipe below will give you enough dough to make two good size 10 inch pizzas:

Ingredients:

600g Strong Bread Flour (Base)
2 tsp Instant Yeast (Base)
2 tsp Salt (Base)
400ml Warm Water (Base)
200ml Passata (Sauce)
Topping of your choice
Cheese, as much or as little as you like.

Instructions:

1. Preheat your oven to 220 degrees (fan) or gas 8

2. Put the flour into a large mixing bowl and stir in the yeast and salt. Make a well in the centre of the flour and add the warm water, bring together until you have a soft dough.

3. Lightly flour the kitchen surface and knead the dough for around 5-10 minutes until it is smooth. You can cover with a tea towel and leave to rise for 30 minutes if you like, but if your impatient like me it works just as well without the time to rise!

4. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin or any other imaginative device you can find if your in student halls and have no rolling pin! I ended up using a tin of beans wrapped in a sandwich bag, it worked a treat. The dough needs to be very very thin, remember it will rise in the oven!

5. Once you have the dough at your desired thickness and shape place baking paper onto your baking tray and lay the rolled out dough on top. Spread the passata sauce on top of the base, leaving a gap around the edges to create your crust.

6. Add your chosen toppings and bake your pizza in the oven for 10 minutes or until crisp.

7. Enjoy and prepare for an influx of orders from your flat mates 🙂