Laura Blackett | University of Sunderland

Social Work BA (Hons)

Student Finance

Hi everyone!

If you are due to start university in September hopefully you are more than aware that the deadline for submitting your applications to student finance is 31st May! I can not emphasise enough how important it is to meet this deadline, after all no one wants to be a poor student right?

Honestly though, if you did happen to miss the deadline still apply but the likelihood of receiving your money when everyone else does at the beginning of term is very slim, no fresher’s week for you!

I remember when I began completing the online form around this time two years ago I found it soooo confusing knowing what the difference was between a grant, loan and course fees! Last year I took part in a finance video which aims to explain all of this alien student finance lingo in simple terms. Basically the video goes through student finance step by step in a way that anyone can understand without needing a Masters in Accounting and Finance!

I also remember the feeling of seeing 4 figures in my bank account very well, and it was like all my Christmases had come at once. However tempting it may be to go to the Bridges and have the ultimate shopping trip, raid the Debenhams make up counter or treat your flatmates to Domino’s, please refrain! Living off noodles, beans and donated food items from flat mates for 3 months afterwards isn’t fun, or easy on the figure. When you watch this video it gives you tips on how to manage your new found riches so that you don’t have to go running to the Bank of Mum or Dad 🙂

Good luck with your applications and if you have any questions, I can try to help!