Laura Blackett | University of Sunderland

Social Work BA (Hons)

September: My Sassy Senorita.

Person Profile

Dominique Fletcher

Studies Spanish & Drama

2nd Year

Lives at Whitley Bay (Newcastle)

#Selfie

#Selfie

As I have mentioned in an earlier blog, last year I worked for the University as Student Ambassador and got involved working on all sorts of events. One of those was working in the university call centre contacting new students (I may of spoke to you) to let them know about the fantastic scholarships we have available which they could be eligible for. I had no idea that walking into that call centre I would meet my best friend!

dominque and me

Disney Party!

I know it sounds so cliché but literally from that first night in the call centre me and Dominique got on like friends who had known each other for years. I think it’s because we had, and still do have, so much in common. We both LOVE all things Disney and Harry Potter related which is always a good start. We are those girls who screenshot funny pictures, talk in constant abbreviations and who get angry about the majority of things that are going on in this world right now! We ended up in hysterics the majority of the time (at jokes no one else found funny but us) and probably annoyed almost everyone with our bad American accent we seemed to adopt mid conversation. Never the less from that call centre we pretty much became inseparable for a few weeks, to the point where staff at uni would see me and ask where ‘my sidekick was’. From that call centre we also got to work together and attend a UCAS event as Student Ambassadors which saw us travel to Worcester together and stay overnight in a hotel. It was such a laugh, not without its own drama’s but never the less! As well as that we conquered all nighters in the library, Dominos pizzas at my flat in Sunderland and many a cocktail as well as being able to have serious chats and put the world to rights over a coffee!

worcester

And just as soon as we had met, she was leaving to become the ultimate jet setter and live in the US of A for the summer at Camp America! I was gutted to see her go, but couldn’t wait to stalk her on Facebook and see what she would get up too. I even got to become a penpal and send her a letter and a baby Sven (Yes the reindeer from Frozen), over to her camp which I know is now one of her prized possessions. Even though we were thousands of miles away and there was an inconvenient time difference we spoke most days and I am happy to report that she literally had the time of her life and had some fabulous stories to tell! She also met some AMAZING people along the way who I know mean a lot to her (Shout out to Joey who I cant wait to meet one day soon because he sounds like an absolute diamond!)

Joey & Dominique at Camp Canadensis!

Joey & Dominique at Camp Canadensis!

Soooo after what seemed like FOREVER, I got to meet up with Dominique on Monday, before she departs for her next big adventure. When I saw her I felt like doing the slow motion run, like in the films? But we are both too sassy for that behaviour and played it cool. Naturally we headed straight for Starbucks and had the LONGEST coffee ever and caught up on 3 months worth of each others lives! I was so jealous of her American adventure I won’t lie..

And this brings me to now. I am writing this blog feeling slightly sad because in four days my newly found friend, who has spent more of our friendship out of the UK than actually in it, will be jetting off to Spain, for a whole YEAR! She is having a Study Abroad year as part of her course, which is a combined Spanish and Drama degree. During the year she will be living in her very own pad with a beach front location (very cosmopolitan!), and have paid work at a local school. Basically living and breathing the countries culture and getting to test out and improve her Spanish in the best place to do it! It is such a brilliant opportunity and well worth any other students thinking about who want a taste of travelling whilst studying at the University. I know if anyone was interested that she would be more than happy to point you in the right direction of where to start.

So that leaves me? Well she isn’t getting rid of me that easily that’s for sure and with flights only costing £80 return I am scheduling in a vacation PRONTO, plus I will be armed with my new found Spanish skills from my University Language Scheme class I start next week!

I just want to say that I wish you the best of luck Dominique, not that you will need it because you will be fabulous and everyone who meets you will adore and love you, as do I!

PS: When you return we will take third year by storm & get to graduate together which is beyond exciting.

Adios for now my sassy senorita 🙂

sass