Laura Blackett | University of Sunderland

Social Work BA (Hons)

Lectures, lock-in & lots of FREEBIES!

So yesterday was a busy day for me to say the least, I feel exhausted and have been in bed by 11pm most nights which isn’t like me at all because im a little night owl!

This week has been my first week back in lessons, and it’s so strange seeing all the Freshers thinking that was me this time last year…but instead I am now an older, wiser, more exhausted second year! I have loved starting all of my new modules this week, in particular we have started the Children, Young People and Families module, and because I would like to work within child protection I think it will be one of my favourite lectures. I have promised myself that this year I will keep on top of all my reading, because last year that kind of fell by the way side and I only really read around when I was doing an assignment, which isn’t good practice! Another bonus about being back at university is seeing all of my lovely course mates, the majority of them seem to have changed their hair colour over the summer, including me!

Shameless selfie before a day of lectures!

Yesterday was the Fresher’s Fayre, which is basically an all day event that happens every year inside City space at City Campus. It is an ideal opportunity to find out what societies and clubs are available, meet their existing members, and sign up for free taster sessions before you decide which society is for you! My favourite thing about Fresher’s Fayre though has to be the freebies, last year I went and came back with ALL SORTS so this year I took a big bag and intended to fill it!

I went along twice throughout the day, once alone and another time with friends. Each time was equally as busy. I dare say it was busier than last year and bigger! Anyway so I managed to find Frankie & Benny’s first (my favourite restaurant ever) and bagged myself a book full of discount vouchers AND a key fob which I can use again and again until September next year and claim 20% off my bill! This made my day I wont lie. My bag soon filled up with sweets, key rings, voucher booklets, society flyers, sunglasses, a jam jar glass, washing powder, toothbrush, crisps, empty pizza boxes which can be filled free of charge and loads more. All the way round I munched on cakes, chocolates and pizza, all for free. Not a bad effort at all! I have decided to put my name down for the Hockey and Netball society and will decide after the taster sessions which one I will choose.

The two Laura's love free pizza

The two Laura’s love free pizza

My haul of stuff from the Fresher's Fayre yesterday :)

My haul of stuff from the Fresher’s Fayre yesterday 🙂

Yesterday felt like the longest day ever but after lectures and the Fresher’s Fayre I drove up to Gateshead to attend the Student Lock in at the Intu Metro Centre. Basically a student lock in is a night specifically for students where shops are open later than usual and offer up to 30% discount when you show your student card. There are also freebies available and it’s generally just an awesome atmosphere with live DJs playing in most shops and pop up bars. I am trying to be good with my student loan this year but did end up treating myself to some new clothes and trainers because they were just too good of a bargain to refuse! There is a Student lock in at The Bridges in Sunderland on Tuesday 30th September so make sure you head to that if you want to bag a bargain. Im heading there with a few of the girls from my course so come and say Hi if you do see me, I wont bite 🙂

Presents to me...from me!

Presents to me…from me!