Jamie Baker | University of Sunderland

Sports Journalism BA (Hons)

Planning for Placement

Two weeks down, three to go.

I suppose it really is a test of a person to give them a pile of work to do over the holidays. If you think that teaching gets you away from this, it doesn’t! My coursemates and I are really quite lucky to be given half-term as (in the official sense) independent study time. This is particularly gratefully received during placement, I’ve found, as people battle to keep up with the constant flow of planning, marking, resourcing and the odd bit of paperwork.

A question I often get asked is ‘how much planning do you have to do on placement?’ The simple answer is, I’m afraid, quite a lot; if you’ve already spent time in school, you’ve probably seen weekly plans from which a skilled teacher can work, sometimes rarely glancing at it. The difference is that we aren’t trained, qualified teachers yet and part of the reason for doing a course like mine is to prove that, with time, you’ll prove that you can plan and teach effectively. With that in mind, the university have to see a detailed plan for each individual lesson, or part of a lesson, that you teach. It’s the kind of plan you might’ve seen if you’ve been in school at the same time as OFSTED. It makes sense really: if we can prove that we can reach those standards in training, then there’s no reason we can’t lower them ourselves once we’re qualified and used to planning.

This coming week, I’m teaching 4 out of 5 literacy lessons plus some other full and part lessons, eventually teaching around 60% of the timetable by the end of placement. As you can imagine, the planning all adds up, but hey! That’s why we’re here – to teach!

More soon 😀