Jamie Baker | University of Sunderland

Sports Journalism BA (Hons)

Getting out of the classroom – Teacher Training

School trips often plant the seeds which turn into fond memories of your school days. I can still remember my year 2 trip to Beamish Open Air Museum, County Durham (a fantastic day out!) and I’m sure you can recall your favourite trip.

The university and its lecturers also appreciate the incredible value of these early experiences; not just for the memories but for there unique learning opportunities. Of course, if we’re going to be let loose with our own classes in UNDER THREE YEARS (?!?!?!), we’ll have to know how to go about organising a trip, or ‘educational visit’ as they’re now called.

One way to demonstrate this, thought my Foundation Subjects tutors, was to take us on a trip; not far, but to somewhere new with an opportunity for us to think about what kind of things we need to be looking out for when planning a visit.

On Wednesday 23rd January, half of the year group met in the biting cold outside St. Peter’s Church, just opposite St. Peter’s Campus. We were greeted by a very pleasant gentleman – our guide – who introduced us to two more guides and two ladies keeping the kettle on the go! We then split into groups for a short tour of the church. This was surprisingly interesting! I had no idea that a building I’ve walked past every day since September was steeped in so much history; the place of worship was built in the name of St. Peter and it is thought that six saints have crossed its threshold over the years – in fact, it is a good few years older than Durham Cathederal.

Following the tour we had a chance to explore for ourselves and ask any questions of the guides we saw fit. It was really useful and I think I speak on behalf of the staff and students on my course when I say thank you to the volunteers who made all 90-odd of us so welcome.

In the next Foundation Subjects session, we’re going to be going over some of the issues raised on the trip and also looking at the paper based elements of a trip like the risk assessments – a little bit less exciting but vital none-the-less!

More soon,

Kyle