Jamie Baker | University of Sunderland

Sports Journalism BA (Hons)

Understanding Uni Terminology: A Glossary

Fel awdur bywydau ar-lein, Rwyf wrth fy modd postio am fy mywyd yn y brifysgol.

That’s Welsh, in case you’re wondering; or least according to Google Translate. I’ve never spoken Welsh. I have no idea how to communicate in the language and would be useless as a translator. I remember applying for University and sometimes feeling the same way; you come across language that you’ve never before used in that context and they can often be used in a way which suggests you should already know their meaning. I’ve put together a list of terms which will hopefully help you understand what the University is trying to tell you!

• Modules: Similar to modules at GCSE or A Level, it covers a chunk of the course. Unlike GCSE and A Level, many modules are taught at the same time. For example, I cover four modules in my first year: Core Subjects (English, Maths and Science); Other Subjects (ICT, humanities etc.); Professional Studies (how to satisfy the national Teachers’ Standards); and School Experience (placements). All of these, except School Experience, are taught alongside one another.
  • Credits: I’m struggling to get my head around this! From what I can gather, to be allowed to provide a degree, a university has to prove a certain level of difficulty. This is represented by credits. Modules tend to be 20 credits and you really don’t need to worry about them! If you pass the module, you get all of the credits. If you fail it you don’t get any.
  • Pass/fail: Generally, at Sunderland, you have to get 40% to pass a module or assignment. If you fail, you are not kicked off the course, you will be given the chance to catch up over the following Summer.
  • Assignment: An assignment is the equivalent of coursework. You will have a selection of assignments due in at the end of a module.
  • Lecture: A lecture is a session, generally, where your entire year group will be taught together in one place; a lecture theatre. Gained courses use them more than others; for example I only have one lecture per week, whereas other courses might have every session in that format.
  • Seminar: This is how the majority of sessions are organised on my course. You’ll work in a smaller classroom with a smaller group (about 20 in my group). These tend to be more interactive sessions and offer more opportunity to ask questions and discuss ideas.
  • Group tasks: This is one of the assessment methods on my course. You will be given a brief and a task to complete then your group (5 or 6 of you) will work on the task. At the minute, I’m preparing a presentation with my group.
  • Directed learning/contact hours: This is the amount of time you’ll spend being taught by a lecturer/tutor.
  • Independent learning: This includes reading, writing assignments and anything else you do at home. Of course, it’s down to you to make sure you do the recommended time; it’s harder than you’d thi

Feel free to ask if you want to know anything else!

More soon!

Kyle