Jessica Duncan | University of Sunderland

Applied Business Management

Dissertation!!!!!!!!

It is finally over! After months of stress, drama and tears it was definitely worth the satisfaction of handing in the most important piece of work in my life so far.

I thought that I was so ahead and prepared for my dissertation, until the final week when I underestimated how long it takes to add all of the figures, tables, references and edits! After my experience, here is my advice to you on writing your dissertation.

Dissertation Tips:

1) Choose a topic/company you enjoy… it makes it SO much easier and maybe even enjoyable to write, and if you write it on a topic which you want to pursue a career in, it is a great to add to your CV and a good conversation to bring up during an interview (speaking from experience!)

2) Start ASAP! Sounds obvious, but seriously.. don’t leave it to the last few months. I would start thinking about the topic at the beginning of your final year.

3) Meet up with your dissertation mentor as many times as possible, they are likely to be the ones marking your work and there advice is extremely important.

4) Don’t be afraid to change the topic during the process. I probably changed my title four times because during the literature review, your knowledge is constantly expanding and you find out which gaps exsit in the topic.

If you have any questions about dissertations, please comment below!