Isaac Alade | University of Sunderland

Pharmacy MPharm

My first community placement of the year.

rsz_dsc_0511

So I’ve attended my first community placement of 3rd year pharmacy and out of all the placements I’ve attended during my time at the university I’ve taken the most away from this one.

Placements arranged by the university normally last 3 hours long, but this one was a full day starting from 9:30 and finishing at 4pm.  I feel this was advantageous because it allowed me as a student pharmacist to play an active role within the pharmacy with supervision. With previous 3 hour placements there often wasn’t time to carry out other activity accept the tasks you had been specifically set to accomplish in order to complete your portfolio.

On this specific day the pharmacist allowed me to assemble multi-compartment aids (MCAs) for patients. This is a useful piece of equipment which helps patients manage the timing of their medications, increasing medicine compliance and effectiveness of drug therapy.

What I learnt from the pharmacist during this Placement is that not all medicines can be included in MCAs. This could be due the stability of the drug once taken out of its original packing or the form of the drug (liquid).  Also great caution must be taken to make sure the prescription is still legally valid before the dispensing of MCA trays, as controlled drug prescriptions are only valid for 28 days from the date on the prescription unlike normal FP10 prescriptions which are valid for 6 months from the date on the prescription.

Completed MCA.

My completed MCA.

Also during this placement the pharmacist allowed me to perform my own clinical audit. This can be used to review and improve the quality of services the pharmacy provides. I conducted an audit on the pharmacies owing system. This is when the pharmacy owes patients medication because they might not have what they need fully in stock or in stock at all. First I set standards which I expect the pharmacy to meet, e.g. the number of items as a proportion of total dispensed should not exceed 5%.  The next step i took was to list the reasons why owing’s may occur in the first place, like the pharmacy might not be able to fund the storage of a high quantity of expensive medication. After this I collated data and compared it to the standards I had set.  The stages that are meant to take place after this is the implementation of change and a re-audit during a later time to see if the standards set have been met.

me and my placement partner in the middle of our clinical audit.

What I enjoyed about placement the most is that it allowed me to apply a practical element to all the theoretical knowledge that  I’ve gained throughout my time at university as well as remind me how different it is to work in an actual pharmacy than to study it.