Caitlin Irwin | University of Sunderland

English and Creative Writing BA (Hons)

Module Choices

Friends1

So a few weeks ago the time came to pick my modules for my second year, and as my last assignment is due in tomorrow, I’m getting excited already to start again in September. I’m so lucky in my degree that I have so much freedom over what I get to do, and it’s one of the reasons I chose to do my degree here. Each year you do 6 modules, and although in your first year you have 4 core modules (you get to pick two), in your second year you only get 2 core modules, which means picking four youself – and the choice is unbelievable.

I had to pick two creative writing modules, and the other two modules I could pick anything from language modules, literature modules and there is even media-related choices (such as screenwriting). It’s very exciting, but at the same time this will dictate what I spend most of my second year doing…luckily, they all sounded amazing.

.choices

Picking modules is something thats really important, not only to shape your degree, but you need to think about what you then want to do in your third year, and when you’ve finished your degree. Thankfully all the lecturers are on hand to make sure you make the right decisions. The best bit, I think, is that you can look at how you are assessed, so if you want to avoid modules with presentations (like me), well, then you can!

Anyway, its been a crazy exciting thinking about everything I’m going to be doing in my second year, so heres a little run down of the modules I’ve picked:

The State Of Play: Twentieth Century Irish Drama

Romanticism

The Art Of Modern Poetry

Writing Prose Fiction

So thats just a little insight into what I’ll be doing next year, and I can’t wait.

Peace,

Caitlin x