Caitlin Irwin | University of Sunderland

English and Creative Writing BA (Hons)

The Amazing Teaching Awards

teaching awards

So last Friday I got to get out my nicest dress and shoes, and get all glammed up – black tie event style. Yup – it was the teaching awards. Some of the best teachers I have ever had are right here at the University, I could talk all day about how my creative writing teacher is probably one of the best teachers (and people) I’ve ever met. And if you ask anyone, I have no doubt they’ll tell you the same.teaching awards1 (English students and lecturers)

The teaching awards were a fantastic chance for students and lecturers to sit down together and celebrate some of the unbelievable lecturers here at the University. The night was put together by the Universities Events Management students, and thanks to them we got to sit down and have a lovely three course meal in a posh hotel (except the soup – I hate soup).

teaching awards2

The English students were out in force spread across three tables to support the wonderful Colin Younger (aka the amazing creative writing lecturer I just mentioned). It’s the students that give the lecturers the opportunity to win an award for their utter amazingness, so obviously, Colin was nominated. But not just that – he won the star award (the best one).

I think it’s fair to say that I have never been to a place where lecturers and students get along so well, and I feel lucky to have been there to support them. Times like this I realise how happy I am to have come to this university, and to have the honour of being taught by all these amazing people.teachingawards (me and colin)

Go Team English and Creative.

And Spectral Visions.

We are, undeniably, the best.

Peace,

Caitlin x