Caitlin Irwin | University of Sunderland

English and Creative Writing BA (Hons)

Spectral Visions Halloween Extravaganza

Hola Amigos!

I have been super ridiculous busy, as you might have seen if you follow me on Instagram or Facebook! I’ve just finished my first university assignment and I am already starting on the next one. But, I had the weekend off for halloween (which I decided started on a Thursday) With the Spectral Visions Halloween Extravaganza!

Yet again, I could talk about how great Spectral Visions is forever, but I’ll try and keep it short and sweet. This Thursday we had a little do for halloween, and the launch of Canny Culture. So hopefully from now, there’ll be many more events like this weeks, Halloween Extravaganza.

After getting myself extremely excited doing the decorations, the night kicked off with a talk ‘Demon Lovers’, from the wonderful Bill Hughes. It was super interesting to see how the ‘lover’ in gothic fiction has changed over the years, in books and also how it’s taken to our TVs! If you ever come to one of the Canny Culture events (which if you are at the University, or plan on coming here – I suggest you do!) it’s so amazing to see everybody’s enthusiasm, these events are a real opportunity to get involved, learn some new stuff, and most of all, ask questions.

This was followed by a talk from one of Sunderland’s amazing lecturers, Alison Younger, on body snatching and the making of monsters. Again, brilliant…as Alison’s talks always are! By missing any of her talks, you are certainly missing out on an a great experience.

Then, after a glass of wine break, we got to hear Colin Younger’s story from ‘Spectral Visions’, and also work from other students. Seeing work from other students, I see, as a hopeful glimpse into the future what I could be working on later on in University.

I can’t tell you enough, how much these Spectral Visions and Canny Culture events mean to everybody involved. I feel so lucky, that the University, and in particular the faculty of Education and society put so much into providing this and I feel privileged to be involved!

Already excited to see what will be happening next!

Peace x