Caitlin Irwin | University of Sunderland

English and Creative Writing BA (Hons)

Spectral Visions Book Launch

Hello Y’all.

So this is a day late as I said it was going to be yesterday, and unfortunately nearly a week after the actual book launch but I’ve been super busy. But if you read my previous blog you’ll know all about Spectral Visions, and the book launch held last friday. It was amazing!

IMG_5648(one of my shots from the book launch, although I have to say sorry, the quality has been killed putting it on here!)

Everything I was expecting, and more. The location to the book launch couldn’t have been more fitting. I was aware that it was a church, but I couldn’t have imagined what it would be like sitting in the pew being told gothic tales from the altar.

But, before the gothic tales, the evening kicked off with a talk on Gothic Wearside by Professor John Strachan, associate dean at Bath Spa University. Followed by a piece of poetry which was a joint creation along side a wonderful lecturer at the University of Sunderland, Alison Younger. I can tell you now, it was brilliant. ’12 Ways to Offend a So-Called Lady on a Gold Course’, was a piece of truly great writing, written and performed with wit and during the entire reading, myself and my girlfriend could be found sat giggling away in the pews. Fantastic.

Then the talk I was really looking forward. The one on the word canny, which was extremely interesting, I loved finding out about how the word has changed over time, and if you missed it (you missed out!). After that, as promised was free food. As a student, free food can never be bad. I’d also came pretty much straight from work, and not had time to eat so I filled my plate and waited for the amazing gothic stories and poems while listening to some great guitar playing. My favourite reading, was a rather scary one from Colin Younger and now with my copy of the book I will enjoy reading all of, as well as the rest of the wonderful contributions. 

IMG_5715(my copy of spectral visions)

The night was amazing. I think that everyone there thoroughly enjoyed it, and I’m already looking forward to the next one. And even more so, the conference in June!

I’ve also been asked to be spectral visions co-ordinator for first year, which I’m so grateful for being asked to do, and obviously, grabbed the opportunity with both hands and can’t wait to get even more involved in Spectral Visions.

I would like to take a little moment just to thank all the people that read on Friday night because they where really the ones who made the night! (and thanks for the free food and wine…wish I’d taken the name of the rose it was lush!)

Peace x