Caitlin Irwin | University of Sunderland

English and Creative Writing BA (Hons)

Freshers Fayre, Karate and Sunderland Dogs.

Hola Amigos.

It has been a week since I last blogged, and a crazily busy week it has been. I literally have not stopped, unfortunately have been so busy that I’ve still been unable to make a little video introduction like you guys. And after just watching Isaac’s, I feel mine has a lot to live up too. But, fingers crossed there will be one by the end of the week!

So you may have seen on the other blogs or if you follow me on instagram, that Wednesday last week was freshers fayre. FREE STUFF. I was in my element as a skint student picking up all the freebies I could get, best of all, a ton of wetherspoons vouchers. So many they came in an actual little booklet…could you think of anything better? Food, drink, coffee! Heading there after to University tomorrow. I must get through them all before they run out, otherwise it will feel like I’ve lost the chance to save money. So if that means drinking a few more drinks to use them up, well, it’ll just have to be done won’t it?

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset(snap of freshers fayre)Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset

So despite from the freebies, I’ll talk about the real important stuff. The unbelievable amount of sports clubs and societies on offer. It really seems like I keep banging out about the things that Sunderland has to offer, but honestly, there’s just loads. Everything from debating societies, games societies and all the sports you’d expect (football, rugby, basketball – both mens and women’s!) to Sky-diving, scuba diving and snow sports – me being me signed up for the latter three. The other things I signed up for where women’s basketball, karate and rowing! Now clearly, as I already work a job at Sainsbury’s, blog, and go to University, as much as I would like too, it would be impossible to do all of these.

I went to the free Karate taster session on Thursday, and this along with Scuba Diving is what I’m hoping to take on this year. The great thing about the Karate is, although its part of the University it also runs outside of the University which means you can still go during the holidays. It’s only £45 to join after to two free taster sessions, and thats for a year (less than a pound a week!) and you can go to as many classes as you like for that, so you could do 3-4 hours if you wanted. I have to admit though, karate is not something I’m entirely knew to as I did it for a number of years until I quit when I was about 15! But this means I can almost continue where I left off. Can’t wait to start getting fit again for a massive fraction of the price of a gym.

Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset(pretending to be strong before karate)

So I said I’ve been busy, lectures, karate, book launch on friday (which will get it’s own blog tomorrow, as it deserves that) The last thing I wanted to talk about was Sunderland dogs, more than that, my unbelievable luck. I cannot be beaten on luck. You might wonder what else there is to do in Sunderland other than the cheap bars and clubs (and now karate and scuba diving). One thing I tried for the first time was going to the dogs. Sunderland has a greyhound stadium, and as long as you don’t bet your life a way…this can be acheap night (or if your like me – entirely free). In fact, I went with £50 and left with £70! 

So extremely busy week, got another one ahead of me.

Any questions about anything I’m up too or my course are always welcome.

As always, Peace x