Brigita Leonaviciute | University of Sunderland

Magazine Journalism BA (Hons)

BRIGITA’S TRAVEL DIARY: GRAN CANARIA

Hola, Amigos!

I just came back from Gran Canaria, where I had one week’s break from all the stressful life I was living for the past nine months. I got some tan, cleared my mind, recharged my energy batteries, so now I can say: I’m all ready for the next chapter – job hunting. Anyways, I would like to talk about my holiday rather than job hunting this time.

I went on this little holiday with my mum. Since we both were tired of our busy lives, we’d spent the first four days only relaxing and sunbathing. My days were looking like: breakfast at 9:00am; pool, sunbathing and sleeping under the umbrella from 10am till 5pm that was followed by more sleep at 5pm and dinner from 8pm. After the dinner we were going out for a couple of hours and then sleep again. Sounds lazy? I know.

On the fifth day we’ve decided that it’s enough of being lazy and we finally went to explore the island. Gran Canaria is famous by its sand dunes, so we took a walk from our hotel to the dunes. The dunes were visible from our resort Playa des Ingles, so I thought half an hour walk by the beach and we will be there, however an hour latter we were still walking…

It took us more time than expected to get there (aprox 1,5hr), but it was definitely worth it. The view was beautiful and we also reached the other part of the resort – Maspalomas, which had a very beautiful beach too.

So after we took some pictures in the dunes, we went to the Maspalomas beach for a little break. I was all relaxed lying on the beach with a scarf on my head (my face got too much Sun) and then this huge wave came and washed half of the beach!! I’m serious! OMG I was one moment lying all dry on my towel and another moment I was literally in the water. The first thing I thought when that happened was “Is my phone ok?”  – that sounds like I’m a way too much addicted to my phone, because I care about this little gadget more than myself.

After this incident we’ve moved further from the water and I was continuing sunbathing and drying my stuff. Since the weather was hot and the sand was even hotter all my clothes dried pretty fast. Latter we went to look around the Maspalomas, which looked posh: fancy hotels and restaurants everywhere surrounded by luxurious shops.

The dinnertime was coming closer, so we had to go back to the hotel, but we’ve promised ourselves to go back to the Maspalomas tomorrow and we did so.

It was really sad to leave and the only thing what is left for me is my tan, images and this short video I’ve made during my holiday.

[youtube id=”TnwAjvrBbWE”]