Brigita Leonaviciute | University of Sunderland

Magazine Journalism BA (Hons)

FINAL PROJECT

Hello Everyone!

The final deadlines are approaching and in a couple of weeks’ time I’ll be entering the world of grownups. Sounds unbelievable. I know!

I’m currently working hard on my final project which is a travel magazine for travel enthusiasts like me. Last year I wrote a post about the magazine presentation all third years had to do where we had to pitch an idea for  a potential magazine. After that you have to produce that publication publication as you final project.

Since the presentation day lot’s things have changed about my magazine. At first, I’ve changed my magazine’s name, from Reality to Travelust; also the list of stories that meant to go in my magazine is slightly different too. You can plan the content of a magazine, but you never know when a good story is going to find you.

There were so many times when I was just Googling something and booooom I discover a very interesting  and different story.  One of those times also were when I was looking for some information for one of my features and found Emily, a girl who sails around the world solo. I thought, I definitely have to interview her, so I emailed her and got lucky, because she agreed to do a short interview on Skype. Well it wasn’t a short interview actually, it took me around 20mins to get answers to all the questions I had.

I decided to share a short audio clip from this interview in order you to see how interviews for journalism assignments look like. If you are starting a journalism course, you’ll have to do lots of interviews, for sure.

Emily’s story is very interesting and worth to be heard.

Enjoy!