Brigita Leonaviciute | University of Sunderland

Magazine Journalism BA (Hons)

LET’S TALK VOGUE

IMG_6647Hello Everyone!

Last weekend I went down to London for one of the most amazing fashion events in the UK – The Vogue Festival. Every year British Vogue organises two days fashion fiesta where everyone interested in fashion can attend masterclasses and talk with the best in the industry. This year’s line-up of participants included John Galliano, Jean Paul Gaultier, Alexa Chung, Bobbi Brown, Kate Upton, Roksanda Ilincic, Erdem Moralioglu, Charlotte Olympia, Olivier Rousteing, Stella Tennant, Tim Walker and the king of shoes – Christian Louboutin.

I was waiting till the last minute to buy a ticket for this event due the amount of uni work I still have left, but after my mum and friends encouraged me, I decided to go – so I booked myself a ticket for a Christian Louboutin Talk: Tales From Beyond the Red Sole (you should of see me after I booked my ticket – jumping around the silent room from the excitement).

The talk with Christian was hosted by the editor-in-chief Alexandra Shulman. The designer disclosed how he came up with the idea to create shoes with red sole – “It came as a happy accident,” he said. At the time, his assistant was painting nails a bright red colour and Christian got an idea to try to see how the shoe with red sole would look like. So he took the nail polish from his assistant and started painting the sole. Christian made everyone laugh by telling that his assistant was screaming at him at that time to give the nail polish back – “Look I have only three nails painted,” told Louboutin.

After the talk Alexandra Shulman asked the audience if they have questions. It was very entertaining because people were not asking typical questions :”I had a pair of Louboutins and my shoes have been stolen. Would you consider of making something like find my iPhone app just for Louboutin shoes – find my Louboutins,” asked one girl from the audience.  Another funny proposal was from  the other girl to go for coffee, however Christian said no -due to his trip to Barcelona later that day.

After the masterclass I went to the main venue where lots of activities happened: the beauty bar where you could get your hair, makeup and nails done, a little photo studio where you could get your own Vogue cover – I got one as well!!!! Also there were specialists hosting Vogue Styling sessions to discuss the latest fashion trends and let’s don’t forget the Vogue shop where you could buy #Everything_Vogue!

I made a short video about this festival. Just click the button below and enjoy 39 seconds of Vogue.

[youtube id=”oOmKNtBkJ9U”]