Brigita Leonaviciute | University of Sunderland

Magazine Journalism BA (Hons)

#Final_Year_Student_Problems

Hi!

It has been ages since I posted a blog here and I want to apologise for that, but I was extremely busy with my final project. Do you know one of these moments when you can’t think about anything else than that particular thing?  So I was like that – everything was spinning around my final project presentation. Do you feel confused what I’m talking about?  Just continue reading and I’ll explain everything to you.

10747949_1491507157802025_1666597642_n

So, every third year magazine journalism student has to produce a final piece of work – a print or digital magazine, or a website – on  a subject of their choice.  You probably think: oh I have a great passion for fashion, so I can make a fashion magazine; or I love electric guitars and I can make a magazine about that; or I am the biggest football fan, so I am going to launch a new football website – easy! But everything isn’t as easy as it looks at first sight.

The final project consists of two parts – a pitch and an actual project. The pitch is a 15-minute presentation where you explain why the market is ready for this magazine/website.  All the third year journalism students were having their final project presentations last week.   It was a very stressful week for all of us, because this is the last chance to show the best skills we have in journalism.

You have no idea how many times a day I was changing my PowerPoint slides in order to make them perfect, not just visually, but also informatively. The giant Google was my best friend for the past couple of weeks and I forced my flat mates to watch me 10 times a day rehearsing the speech.  I felt very confident about my pitch as I started it pretty early and didn’t have to rush myself. However, the stress attacked me on the presentation day.  When I went to the class I was feeling hot and at the same time cold. I think this is because we don’t do many presentations in journalism (I can probably remember only one group presentation I’ve done in the first year).  Anyway, I think everything went pretty well and now I can start the production of my lifestyle, culture and travel magazine called Reality. I promise, I’m going to tell you more about this magazine next time and now you can take a sneak peek at my presentation video below.

Bridge xxx